Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Keep by Jennifer Egan


Kim wrote in an e-mail:

OK - I'm not even going to try to write a review for the blog about this book because I don't know how I would.

But, after trying - and quitting - so many books that were frustrating and disappointing  (why is it that most of the shortlisters and winners of the Man Booker Award seem to be more for writers than readers, i.e., all about the writing and not so much about the story) I'm pretty charged up about  "The Keep" by Jennifer Egan. I loved this book - it's extraordinarily well written and entertaining.  You could say it's a gothic tale - or that it's a story of redemption - or a modern day crime story - or all of the above.  And it's a mind bender - even now, I can't tell you what's real about it and what's not (i.e., there's a related web site that will keep you guessing!) It's gripping - and funny - and a cliff hanger til the end!  I couldn't put it down!

And with all that, it is still "serious fiction", i.e., the author was a finalist for the National Book Award for her first book, "Look at Me.

Do you remember reading John Fowles "The Magus" - kind of uncategorizable? That's this book too.  Try it! You'll like it."

~ Kim

(Posted by Fran, with permission from Kim, because her "review" sure did make me want to read The Keep!)

No comments:

Post a Comment